Thursday, May 03, 2007

Our Name in Japanese


Kurafuto

“Craft” in romaji (a way of writing Japanese with roman letters)



クラフト

“Craft” in katakana (symbols for foreign words). This is the way I usually write my name.



蔵太

“Craft” in kanji (Chinese Characters).

In Japanese, this roughly means “you will be able to get a-lot of wealth”
The first character “蔵” symbolizes a rice storage building.
The second one ”太” means “wide” or “fat”. Ha ha…

It is actually a great honor to receive a kanji name, as many people who come here do not. The first school where I worked thought up this one and we really like it. It makes us feel less like outsiders and more accepted as equals in Japanese society. People here always like it too.
And, by the way, I also usually introduce myself as "Craft" as people usually go by their last names here.

No comments:

Post a Comment