Sunday, January 29, 2006

Gah-bu-ri-chu!

"Gah-bu-ri-chu" is the nickname that the students from my agricultural/cooking school gave me (I teach there every Thurs. & Fri.). Most are from pretty rough backgrounds and will never have any practical need for English, but I use a-lot of cultural information, video, and English games there to make learning fun for them. It's much more hectic than the academic school where I teach Mon. through Fri. but we all have a pretty good time together. The kids are pretty happy to see me as I'm only there two times a week. They are really great kids.
Anyway, this above picture was kind of a dream-come-true for me. I don't know how many of you watch The Simpsons, but there is this episode where Dustin Hoffman plays the part of a substitute teacher for Lisa Simpson's class. In the episode one of the students draws a picture of Dustin's character during class and passes it around to the other students in order to make fun of the teacher. Well, Dustin doesn't get angry. He simply says, "Wow, this is really good! Did you draw this? Can I keep it?"
Well, one of my kids drew this ridiculous picture of me. I couldn't stop laughing. I asked him if I could have it and he kindly agreed. It is actually his interpretation of what I would be if I were a Pokemon animation character. I was flattered. I love being a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. The writing actually says "Gah-bu-ri-chu" (Like "Gabriel" and "pikachu" run together). My name in Japanese sounds like this: "Gah-bu-ri-eh-ru Ku-ra-hu-to"

    ReplyDelete