Monday, August 09, 2010

Sleeping Beauty

Who ever knew I could get used to 4-5 hrs of sleep a night. I never thought I would. When I was younger my family often teased me about the amount of time I could sleep. Everyone knew it. I could sleep for 10 even 12 hours at a time. Sometimes my mom would let me sleep till I woke up on Saturdays. Sometimes I would wake up in time for dinner and go back to bed. Ah those were the days. I was the Sleeping Beauty in my family. Now I am lucky to get 3 consecutive hours and at most 5 hours for the whole night. Our precious daughter has not yet developed the love for sleeping that her mommy has.
When Violet was first born I thought, "How will I ever get used to this? Waking every hour for feedings? Are you serious?" But I did. Then it became every 2 then every 3. It seems we are stuck at 3 now.  She still needs to be nursed to sleep. She often wakes not to be fed but just to be close to me. She sleeps in the crib now right beside our bed and I swear she can smell me when I come in to bed at night and then she wakes up and wants to nurse. Then she joins us in our family bed for the night. Violet is very slender so I never want to deny her milk. So I pick her up and feed her. If she is not hungry she will just drift back to sleep. Then I lay down in bed and wait for her to wake again. I usually can't fall asleep because I am wondering when she will wake again. It seems just as I begin to drift off she starts to stir. Or I can't sleep because I am watching her sleep. She is such a cute sleeper. :)
So, I bought The No Cry Sleep Solutions book but have yet to get past page 60. ;)  I don't think I could ever let her just cry so I always pick her up. As Dr. Sears says, this stage won't last forever. I don't mind being there for her whenever she needs me. I don't mind getting 4-5 hours of sleep because I know all too soon she will be turning 18 and then I won't be able to sleep because I will wonder when she is coming home and hoping she is not getting into too much mischief. So I am cherishing these days of sleepless nights. I am enjoying every moment I can. And I am thanking God for the sleep that I do get. :)
Here are some pics of our little sleeper


No comments:

Post a Comment