Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mommy, What is a....?

Recently my days have been filled with questions. Questions about anything and everything! I love it! They come in the form of "What is a....?" And also lots of "Whys?" The whys go on and on and on. If I don't know the answer she just wants me to think of anything I can to answer her. When I have had a long or stressful day, to be completely honest, I feel a little worn out by the unending whys. But then I remind myself that one day she won't ask anymore and I am quickly able to turn off that feeling and try to come up with an answer. I may not ever have another baby to enjoy this kind of interaction with, unless I am blessed to be a grandmother one day. So, I am relishing each one as much as I can.

Violet asked me last night, "Mommy what is a nun?" I answered, "A  nun is a woman who has decided to give her life to God, to serving people and helping people." Violet looked up at me, smiled and said, "So a nun is kind of like a mom. Right?" Then she wrapped her arms around my waist (she was on a stool helping me cook dinner) and I smiled and said "that is a very sweet thing to say. Yes, I guess a nun is kind of like a mom in some ways." Then she said, "Do nuns have babies too? I think they do and they hold them and give them milkies. And when they cry they say 'Don't worry I am a nice nun. I will take care of you.'" I said, "Well honey, nuns don't usually have babies but some nuns take care of babies and children. Some of them take care of children who don't have a mommy or daddy. And I guess if a nun really wanted to she could try to make milkies." She smiled and pretended to be giving a baby milkies.

Then as we were getting into the bath that night she looked up at me and said, "Mama, when I grow up, I want to be a nun." I smiled and told her that was a very nice thing to say and a very kind thing to say. As we got in the bath I told her that I thought she would be a wonderful nun because she is so kind and caring. My sweet girl! I love her so much!

She also says she wants to be a nurse, a doctor, an astronaut and a ballerina.

I hope and pray that I can encourage her to and support her as she explores all of her talents and desires as she grows and becomes the person God has created her to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment